Sunday, July 19, 2009

Back to school traditions?

Even though she's getting more used to the idea of homeschooling, Kendall is still a little bummed that come fall she won't be going to the school near us for kindergarten. I am looking for ideas of fun things we could do on the first day of school to make it really special for her. Do any of you have traditions for the first day school? I want to do something when the public school starts, like go see a movie or go to the park, things we wouldn't be able to do if she were in school then. And then I want her first official day of homeschool to be special too.

I saw a few things on a message board like making a schultute and taking pictures.

My favorite idea was to get doughnuts on the morning that public school starts and then drive by the school, roll down the windows, and yell, "Suckas!!!" :) I'm so going to do that one. :)

5 comments:

Robyn said...

I really like the schultute and drive-by ideas! I love going out with my kids while everybody else is in school. The world seems so quiet and deserted, like it's all to ourselves.

I don't have any ideas for you, but keep us updated on your homeschooling successes. I'm going to be homeschooling Ada for kindergarten in a year, so I could use the advice.

Stephanie said...

Totally do the drive by suckas thing. That's awesome!
I think a movie would be fun for her. And by the way, you're very brave for homeschooling.

Stephanie said...

I just looked up what a "shultute" was and I'm totally going to do that for Sevrie.

Kirsten said...

Aren't they cute??

knitaholic310 said...

I love the shutltute idea, I might do it for my kids since their first day of school will probably be terrifying. I LOVE THE DRIVE BY! I think you could do what a normal teacher would do for Kendall on the first day. She could knock on the door and your could open it and welcome her to school (that is what I did with Ian on the days he didn't have preschool and we did homeschool). You could have her make a glittery colorful name tag for her 'desk' and go around the area you have reserved as a classroom and describe what each area will be used for (this is our reading corner, this is the art area, etc.,). It would be fun to start off your first day of school with a trip to the Children's Museum in SLC or Thanksgiving Point.

Homeschool sounds so cool when other people are doing it. I kind of hate it because I am stuck trying to keep my kids caught up with math that I have forgotten how to do.