Monday, December 8, 2008

Give oh give, give oh give

With the times the way they are and the holidays here we've been reflecting a lot on how blessed we are. We've been trying to teach Kendall about blessings and how fortunate we are and that with so much, we should try to help people who aren't as fortunate. I'm trying to give her little chances to give like having her put all our change into the 'bell piggybank' at the grocery store while explaining that the money goes to help people, and having her come to our tithing settlement which gave us a great opportunity to explain about tithing and offerings.

So, this morning we were watching Postcards from Buster and he was in China visiting kids who did things to help others. One girl raised money to give to sick kids. Kendall was all over it. (I think she liked that girl because she was a figure skater.) Anyway, she wants to earn money to give to sick kids and who am I to say no. I think it's great but I need ideas- what types of things can a 4 year old (with our help of course) do to earn money? You are all so creative so I thought I'd ask you.

Any ideas?

4 comments:

The Gomes Family said...

Remember friendship bracelets that we made when we were younger Kirst, out of the string from Michael's or Beverly's that would be one idea! They now have a wheel that helps create those, she could do that.

http://www.backtobasicstoys.com/item/productid/7767/txt/Friendship_Wheel/?source=PDGOG08

knitaholic310 said...

If you are willing to pay her to do chores there are many ways she can earn money around the house. Ian vacuums our two sets of stairs with a handheld cordless, he cleans the bathroom (minus the toilet and tub, so I guess just the counter, sink, mirror and floor), he mops after I sweep. I have him help me sort recycling at the center in town. He can shovel a little snow or rake a few leaves. He does not do these things perfectly or often, but he does like to earn and count his money. We have not progressed to the point where he wants to give it away yet. I think it is awesome that Kendall wants to help other people. What a sweet niece I have!

Kirsten said...

Good ideas, and having her help with more chores would be a great lesson in general. It's funny, all day yesterday she kept telling people, I want to give money to sick kids. And then they'd look at me curiously. I hope her giving spirit lasts.

Stacie said...

Kirsten,
Reading your blog I thought that It was just like Kendal,Sweet and so caring for others. I rememeber our trip to Disney Land. I did get to see how special she is and I would love to know if she is still wanting to earn some money? Ask Stephanie for my E-mail and I would love to hear about her little love for the children fund.
Grandma Stacie