Saturday, February 21, 2009

Eat Your Veggies

I tried a new recipe that is really simple and yummy. My friend from my cooking group gave it to me and it is originally for broccoli, but tonight I used it for cauliflower and Collin (and he usually hates cauliflower), Ian and I loved it. My friend's family full of super picky kids loves it too.

Roasted Broccoli or Cauliflower

1 head broccoli (1 3/4 pounds) or cauliflower
2 T oil
1/2 t salt
1/2 t sugar

Adjust oven oven rack to lowest position, place large rimmed baking sheet on rack and heat oven to 500 degrees. Cut broccoli or cauliflower at juncture of florets and stems. Cut crowns into 4 wedges so that each piece has a flat side. Place broccoli or cauliflower in a bowl and drizzle with oil, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with salt and sugar and toss to combine. Working quickly, remove baking sheet from oven. Carefully transfer broccoli or cauliflower to baking sheet and spread out in an even layer, placing flat sides down. Return baking sheet to oven and roast until florets are lightly browned, 9-11 minutes.

Here's another one I am going to try next time, but I don't know if kids will like the garlic.

Roasted Broccoli with Garlic

1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets, stems peeled and sliced
1-2 T extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss broccoli florets with olive oil, garlic, salt and lots of black pepper on a baking sheet. Spread out in a single layer and then roast, without stirring until edges are crispy and the stems are crisp-tender, about 20 minutes.

No comments: