Friday, November 21, 2008

Reminder

I love this talk by Elder M. Russell Ballard in April 2008 conference. I've been feeling frustrated with my lack of energy lately. I feel like there's always so much to do and not enough time/energy to do it all. I remembered this talk and it is very encouraging and uplifting. I really like the quote from Anna Quindlen. I need an occasional reminder to stop and enjoy the moment instead of rushing to the next task.

"What can you do, as a young mother, to reduce the pressure and enjoy your family more?

First, recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction.

Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: 'The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. … I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less' (Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11)."

3 comments:

Thomas Family said...

Katy, you must have been inspired to post this today. I needed that reminder so bad. Thanks. Love ya!

The Gomes Family said...

Katy, this is such a great message, I loved this talk to. It is really hard at times to take a step back while in the moment and just enjoy the moment and not the pressures of what needs to take place next. Thanks!

knitaholic310 said...

Amen to that! The house will always be there for you to clean, your children will not. They grow so fast and change so quickly. Thanks for posting that. What a great reminder.