Saturday, April 12, 2008

Another Fun Find

I have a weakness for cookbooks and the other day I found this at TJ Maxx for only $4.99! What a lucky find.

The meals are definitely not gourmet, but most little kids don't want gourmet anyway. I haven't tried any of the recipes, but they look very family-friendly. The whole intro in the book is about how dinnertime should be a family affair and a chance to bond with our kids. (Has anyone else heard a lesson or two about that?) I really need to work on getting my kids involved with dinner preparations and making mealtime an enjoyable (rather than stressful) experience together. Each page in this book has an idea for "Together Time." For example:
"Color a tablecloth. Cover your table with brown paper or butcher paper, get out the crayons or markers and let the kids draw their neighborhood..." OR "Mix thing up for a little excitement on Wacky Wednesday. Serve dessert first, and pour your beverage into bowls to sip through straws. Have family members wear sunglasses or eat with their mittens on."
Doesn't that sound fun? These are obviously not things to do every night, but maybe once a week. It could be used as an incentive on the other nights for the kids to eat all their healthy food. If you guys want more of the "Together Time" ideas, I'll post more. I'm excited to try some of Betty's ideas.

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

I'm jealous! You know how I feel about cookbooks in general and that sounds like a good one. Dinner time is totally stress time for me and I'd love it if it was fun family time instead. Let me know if the recipes are any good and I'll get it.

Stephanie said...

I love the "Wakey Wed." ideas. How fun!! That sounds like a geat cookbook. Let us know how your dinnertime goes.

knitaholic310 said...

Those ideas sound fun, please post more. I am really looking forward to the day when my kids want to eat the same things I do. So far Ian is the only one who will eat what I eat. He loves tofu and salmon and saffron, potato, spinach, mushroom tart with gruyere. What kinds of dinner are mentioned in the book?