Monday, June 23, 2008

Chemical Toxins and Processed Foods...

My 7 year old daughter has ADHD. She was diagnosed about 18 months ago. We ultimatley decided to put her on medicine, which has helped her tremendously in the school setting. My husband, Ryan and I have gone the rounds many times over whether or not this is best for Maddi. On one had, I see that she was top 3 in her class this year with nothing below an A all year, but on the other hand we struggle with putting what is considered to be a highly regulated "narcotic" into her body everyday. I feel like although it helps control her symptoms, it masks her personality. She doesn't seem the same. Along with this, it is very expensive. With every dosage increase, the price tag goes up. Right now, it is $112.00 a month, that is with our insurance covering only 50%.

So, yesterday Ryan and I were talking once again about whether this is the best choice for her. It is summer time and a prime time for me to try other alternatives. I have heard of some herbs that may help that I thought I might check out.

Now on to my point. :) I use to enjoy watching Good Morning America in the morning, but I just don't usually have the time anymore to sit down and do that. This morning for whatever reason I flipped it on just in time to see this interivew:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=5221554&page=1

I feel like it is no coincidence that I saw this just after the day I had yesterday. I have heard a little bit about red #40 and it's reaction in some children. What startled me was that Great Britain (pretty sure thats what the video said) has a ban on all these kinds of chemicals becuase of some studies that they have done. So, Mars (the candy co.) have taken these chemicals out of there starburst and skittles candy that they sell there. The woman in this video goes on to talk about how she had taken all the processed food out of her kids diets and all the positive things that have come from it.

I was wondering what you guys take on all this was? Have you heard about any of this? Have you done any of your own research? I am considering trying this. I know its not a cure, but I figure it may help her symptoms and promote a more healthy lifestyle.

10 comments:

Thomas Family said...

My friend just found out her little boy is autistic and has decided to try some major diet changes to see if anything helps. I know it is not like ADHD, but I think it is worth trying to change something you have control over (like a diet) if you are looking for an alternative to medicine. My friend's little boy has always been allergic to dairy, but she has also removed gluten and sugar from his diet. That is pretty drastic, but it can't hurt them. It can just make it really difficult to cook for them and make sure they get all the nutrients they need. I haven't heard how it has been for her yet.

I just took a Nutrition class and it was pretty amazing to learn all the things food can do for/to your body. One thing I learned is that certain vitamin or mineral deficiencies or excesses can cause symptoms that mimic those of ADHD. Not saying that is your little girl's problem, but it is something you've looked at?

I think you are right- it is summer- a perfect time to try it out. You mentioned processed foods and I totally agree that they are not a good idea ever, so that would be my first thing to change. Then of course 5 a day of fruits and veggies and plenty of whole grains. You can try and if it doesn't help then try different medications. Sometimes it takes a while to find one that works the best for your kid. Best of luck with it!

Kristyn said...

Hey Mical -- I've met you briefly before (went to school with Ryan) and came upon this from Nikki's site. I think altering diets can have drastic effects on kids. I have done minimal research and have yet to take the time to do this for my kids, but I have a friend who is proficient in this. If you are interested in information or even resources to get you started I'd be happy to get you in touch with her! Good luck -- its hard, but I think its a great thing to do for kids -- I just need to get in gear and do it for my own!
Kristyn

Mical said...

Yes, I definatley agree that this is the most healthy way of living. I, for myself, have thought many times to try to cut processed foods out of my diet. But I was never fully committed, so it didn't work. I think getting Ryan to cooperate will be the most difficult. Well, and my 3 year old who is addicted to fruit snacks and grahm crackers.

If I find that this does benefit Maddi, I am wondering how to approach other areas that give snacks that I won't want her having, such as school, church,etc. Should I go as far as talking to her teachers, or should I just say that every now and then, its okay? I don't want her to feel different or excluded. But it seems like there is always a reason for treats at school. For every childs birthday, Moms bring a treat to share, there are so many holidays that are associated with sugary treats. It seems like an uphill battle.

knitaholic310 said...

Mical,
As far as the treats at school go, you could send a tupperware full of acceptable treats for Maddi to have when the other kids get treats. This has happened for kids in Emma's classes ever since she started school and seems to work well. I have heard about red#40 and other chemicals affecting children's behavior. When I lived in England, a lot of the parents were cutting out junky, highly colored foods for their kids. I have a little experience in eating healthy, I grew up that way. If you want any recipes for healthy-ish treats or other stuff, let me know. What kinds of changes are you going to make? Ryan could always go out for lunch in the middle of the day to get his processed foods fix. It will be a slightly uphill battle to cut out fruit snacks, etc., but can she have organic fruit leather and fruit snacks like those made by fruitabu?

Mical said...

Tara,
Thats a great idea to send her own treats to school. I will have to do that this coming year. Also, if you have some time I would really appreciate a couple recipes. I have bought the fruit leather that costco sells and couldn't get my kids to eat it. However, when there are no other options like princess fruit snacks or fruit rollup tatoos, I am willing to bet they will be fine with that. I bet trader joes would be a good choice for healthier snacks? My kids do enjoy nuts and fresh fruits and veggies, thankfully.

knitaholic310 said...

Trader Joe's has a fruit leather that Ian and Aidan like and fruitabu does carry some fruit snacks, but alas they are not princess shaped. What kinds of recipes are you looking for?

Mical said...

I guess just something to satisfy any kind of sweet craving so that my kids don't think I am totally mean. :)

knitaholic310 said...

OK, I'm on it!

knitaholic310 said...

OK, I thought I had some good stuff, but in looking through my recipes I find they all have some sugar in them. My suggestion to you is to go to your library and look in the diabetic cookbook section. I like Deceptively Delicious, but only about 2/3 of the recipes are good tasting. I thought I would have a lot to contribute, but am coming up empty handed. You can visit your local health food store and they would be able to direct you to some less junky treats. I grew up on fake candy from the health food store, maybe your kids can adjust.

Anonymous said...

I know this post isn't new, but I haven't checked out the blog lately. Katy will remember Blanca WIlliam from our Riverwoods ward. She is a real fanatic about food and we were talking one day and she mentioned a book called "Food and Behavior" by Barbara R. Stitt. I really liked reading it and it gave some great insight into the foods we eat and illnesses or behavior patterns. It was a real eye opener. I would recommend giving it a read. Even if you don't follow her diet plan it makes some pretty good arguments and she has had lots of success with it. I know if I were dealing with this issue, I would refer to it.
Good luck!
You can read a bio of it on Amazon.com