Saturday, June 28, 2008

1 2 3 4 Mac and Cheese

I just spent a week at Girls Camp as a cookie's assistant and a fill in adult leader. It was one of the most fun and exhausting weeks of my life. One neat recipe I learned from the head cookie was this super easy homemade baked macaroni and cheese. It is the creamiest mac and cheese ever. I had three helpings the day she made it. Cookie said you could use 1/2 a stick of butter if a whole stick scares you. She sure did love her butter, she put it in everything at camp. 

I think next time I try it I will use 1/4 c butter and Cabot 50% fat sharp white cheddar. What I love about this recipe is that you don't have to boil the noodles or make the roux and cheese sauce separately, it all gets thrown in together and bakes up real nice. Doesn't the title sound Sesame Streetish?

1, 2, 3, 4 Mac and Cheese

1 stick butter
2 cups dry elbow macaroni noodles
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 cups milk

Put all in a casserole dish and bake in the oven at 400 F for one hour. Stir every 15 minutes so a hard crust does not form on the bottom of your dish. 

4 comments:

Kirsten said...

I'm SO going to try this. I love easy recipes like this that I can memorize after seeing it once. And I love the idea of not dirtying several pots. I hate doing dishes.

Robyn said...

You've just made my life better.

The Gomes Family said...

I am as you not the best cook however, I did make some pretty good cookies the other day so I am going to attempt this simple recipe! Thanks!

knitaholic310 said...

I just made this last night and it turned out pretty good. I say pretty good because I added 1 c pureed butternut squash to it and that was 1/2 a cup too much. The kids (minus Aidan) still liked it, but Collin was giving me looks. The texture and and thickness of sauce was perfect though. Maybe next time I will use less squash or leave it all out.