Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Where Everybody Knows Your Name . . .

. . . and they're always glad you came . . . You wanna go where people know, people are all the same, you wanna go where everybody knows your name.

So I had a SUPER awful day yesterday full of lame drama and I was feeling really bad about something that happened and then that made me feel bad and sad about other stuff. I spent a lot of yesterday crying and ended up with a GIANT headache. It stunk! Plus, I hardly ever cry. Seriously, I can count the times I cry each year on one hand. It kind of takes a lot of stress and drama to make me cry.

I had to return some books to the library and no joke, as soon as I stepped through the doors I felt a little weight slide off my shoulders. I browsed the cookbook section and new non-fiction and looked around in the kids' books as well.

When I went up to the circulation desk to present my card and check out my books, the librarian said, "Oh, I already pulled you up on the computer, Tara." Then she smiled her warm friendly librarian smile. A few days ago a book I requested and had been waiting for for about a month came in and when I went to pick it up one of the librarians said, "we knew you would be really excited that this finally came in!" I know they are just doing their job, but they really make me feel like they actually know me. I know this sounds really sentimental, but it is true and with all the dumb haterade in my life right now, it just feels good to know that there are people out there in my community who care about me, even if it is just book related.

The library is my home away from home. I go there a few times a week and check out at least 50 books at a time. The librarians call me "the lady with the bottomless bags" and always laugh when they give me a 6' long receipt of all the books I've checked out and say, "this one is even longer than the last one!" I can put my feet up and read while the kids look at books or play with toys or play on the computers. I feel so relaxed in the library, even the smell of books is soothing. The librarians are my Sam, Cliff, Norm, Diane, Carla and Woody--the books my addictive relief.

Is there a place you go where everybody knows your name and they're always glad you came? Do you have a home away from home or a peaceful spot you can escape to when everything in your life seems stressful?

Me? The Public library for Union County, ahhhhhhhhhhh. . . . 

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

That made me smile. The library part, not the haterade part, I'm sorry you had such an awful day.

I don't have anywhere like that and it sounds very nice. Our library is tiny and I get stressed there because Kendall wanders and Gage pulls things off the shelf and they RARELY have the books I'm looking for. But we still go every week and the librarians are really nice too. Kendall drew them a picture once and they hung it on the wall, she was very proud.

I'm glad you could go somewhere that made you feel better.

What kind of books do you check out?? 50???

amber said...

I was just at the sight of the Cheers sign a week ago! How wierd? When I pulled up your post I thought did I post that picture on the wrong blog. What a trip. The place where everyone knows my name is the Gymboree, and we all know why.

Robyn said...

I'm so glad you posted this because it reminded me that my library books are due. I'm with Kirsten that the library is a hectic place for me. Ada runs off, and Ruth pulls books down, and any book I get in my hands, Ramona tries to eat.

I would have to say that my peaceful spot on this planet is the dolphin tank at the aquarium. It's an underwater viewing and it shines blue on everybody and the dolphins swim by over and over again and my kids just run around in an enclosed place. When we go to the aquarium, we are frequently the only people there. It's so nice. But nobody knows me. I kinda like things that way, though.