Saturday, May 10, 2008

Race for the Cure 2008 in Sacramento

Today I was able to walk once again for my dear friend Alena who was diagonsed last year with breast cancer at the age of 22. After under going a single mastectomy and Chemo treatment, this year we got to walk for her as a survior. She is a beautful and strong young woman, who I think can make it through anything. If you have not or feel like you don't need to, please get a breast cancer screening simply for those who did not survive.


4 comments:

Kirsten said...

Wow. What an amazing woman she is, an inspiration. That's awesome that you got to be a part of that. I'm glad she's doing well.

Thomas Family said...

That is so awesome! I wonder if there was a race in my hometown. I wanted to do Walk for Life last months, but was I with my sister during surgery. My sister just got diagnosed a couple months ago and is recovering from a double mastectomy and starting chemo. It's so scary! She's young too. It's SOOOOOO important to do monthly exams, especially if it runs in your family. The doctors did genetic testing on my sister and discovered that the gene that she carries makes it so she had an 87% chance of getting breast cancer and a 67% chance of getting ovarian cancer. So now me, my other sister and my mom all need to be tested too, so we can make some plans for ourselves. It's something that is finally real to me. Pretty serious stuff. Good job being a supportive friend!

knitaholic310 said...

WOW! That is awesome.

The Gomes Family said...

That is so wonderful! I am inspired!