Friday, March 14, 2008

Eat More Wheat

Per Mical's request, I am posting wheat recipes. Last night I made a regular brownie recipe and replaced half of the flour with wheat flour and I didn't notice a huge difference in taste or texture. 

Blender Wheat Pancakes

1 c wheat
1 1/4 c milk (use your powdered milk reconstituted)
(blend about 2 min.)
Add:
2 eggs
2 t baking powder
2 T sugar or honey
1/3 c oil 
1/2 t baking soda

Blend until mixed. Stir between pouring to keep mixed. Pour onto hot lightly greased griddle. Flip over when bubbles burst. Makes approximately 24 3" pancakes.

Wheat Waffles

2 c flour (1 white, 1 wheat)
4 t baking powder
6 T oil
2 eggs
1/2 t salt
1 3/4 c milk (use your powdered milk, reconstituted)
2 T sugar or honey

Mix all together and cook in oiled waffle maker.

Maren's Rolls
(can also be made into whole wheat cinnamon rolls)

2 packages of yeast
1/2 c warm water
1/4 c sugar
6 1/2-8 c whole wheat or 1/2 white, 1/2 wheat flour
1/2 c powdered milk
1 T salt
2 c warm water
2 beaten eggs
1/2 c oil

Combine yeast, 1/2 c water, and sugar. Allow to stand until yeast is dissolved. Sift flour, powdered milk, and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the center. Pour in water, yeast mix, eggs and oil. Stir well and add more flour if needed to make a soft dough. Cover and let rise 1 hour. To speed rising process turn oven on to 300 degrees for 3 minutes, then turn off and place dough with warm moist cloth over it in closed oven). When doubled in size, turn out onto well floured board. Knead a few times to make dough easy to handle.Form into desired shapes*. 

For rolls, take small handfuls and roll into balls. Place the balls close together in a greased 9 x 13" pan. Allow to double in size. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes until golden brown.

*For cinnamon rolls roll out dough to 1/2 inch and spread with butter, cinnamon and sugar. Roll up and slice 1 inch pieces and place together in baking dish. Allow to double in size. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes until golden brown. 


3 comments:

Kirsten said...

How often do you use your wheat?

knitaholic310 said...

Pretty much every day. I made 2 hour wheat bread which uses 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat flour yesterday. I also made tacos and put wheat in the ground turkey. If I make pancakes it goes into them, if I make waffles, biscuits, pretty much anything baked it goes in there. I also made the wheat banana bread yesterday. People are going to think I am a freak, but my kids aren't good eaters so I do what I can to sneak the good stuff in. Every time I make scrambled eggs I put cauliflower in there. Every time I make anything with ground turkey I sneak at least 1 or 2 pureed veggies that the kids won't normally eat like yellow squash, butternut squash, zucchini, etc., in. Butternut squash goes into homemade or box macaroni and cheese every single time too. I'm not proud that I have to sneak it in, but they really won't eat many veggies on their own.

Kirsten said...

I'm all about sneaking in the good stuff. I made mashed potatoes just for me and I put in cauliflower. I think sneaking wheat into things is a good idea. Kendall will eat whole grain bread though so that's good.