Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Yummy Scones

I've been craving scones for some reason, so I tried this recipe. They were really good. I substituted mini chocolate chips for the raisins. This is a really basic recipe so you could experiment with different mix-ins. Next time I think I'll put a little lemon zest in with the dry ingredients and add blueberries instead of raisins.


INGREDIENTS
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup raisins (optional)

DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, blend the sour cream and baking soda, and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet.

In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Cut in the butter. Stir the sour cream mixture and egg into the flour mixture until just moistened. Mix in the raisins.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Roll or pat dough into a 3/4 inch thick round. Cut into 12 wedges, and place them 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown on the bottom

5 comments:

Kirsten said...

Those sound yummy and fancy in a good way. I bet they'd make a great gift. I like to bake goodies for neighbors and a couple now have high expectations so I'm always looking for good give away treats.

Grammy A said...

Katy... is that a picture of YOUR scones?

Mical said...

mmm, the lemon and blueberry sound really good.

Katy said...

No, but mine looked just like that. I forgot to mention that I cut mine into smaller triangles than they said to. They would have been huge otherwise.

Mical said...

I just watched a Barefoot Contessa episode this morning where she made cheddar dill scones. They looked so good.