Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Molten Chocolate Cakes

I have made my own birthday cake a couple times and it stunk! This year Collin made these for me and they were gooey chocolatey perfection. Emma asked him to make them for her birthday as well. I had mine with dulce de leche Häagen Dazs, but I think it would be great with raspberry sauce as well or vanilla bean ice cream with black specs. The recipe comes from Martha Stewart´s Everyday Food cookbook.

Molten Chocolate Cakes

4 T unsalted butter, at room temp., plus more for muffin tins
1/3 c granulated sugar, plus more for muffin tins
3 large eggs
1/3 c flour
1/4 t salt
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted
powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously butter 4 cups of a standard muffin tin. Dust with granulated sugar and tap out excess. Set aside. 

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. With mixer on low speed, beat in the flour and salt until just combined. Beat in chocolate (do not overmix). Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. 

Place muffin tin on baking sheet, bake until tops of cakes no longer jiggle when the pan is lightly shaken, 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven, let stand for 10 minutes.

To serve, turn out the cakes, and place on serving plates, top sides up. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with whipped cream, if desired.


6 comments:

Katy said...

Those look delicious! What are you doing for your birthday? It's a big one.

knitaholic310 said...

Collin and I are going to NYC in the summer to celebrate. This year he will be in the Dominican Republic, so this past weekend I had the whole Saturday to do whatever I wanted and he watched the kids. I went window shopping and to lunch with a friend. Then Collin and I made dinner together. The kids gave me cleaning coupons. It was nice.

Kirsten said...

YUM! What a good cook our brother is! Dave offered to buy me an ice cream cake, does that count? I made myself some cookies which were yummy. I love molten chocolate cakes. I made some from a william sonoma kit once for Val. day and they were way good.

Grammy A said...

Tara, is that from the cookbook Collin got for his birthday? I'm glad that what at first was "kind of" a joke gift, has inspired some serious cooking!

knitaholic310 said...

Yes, those are from the cookbook you gave him for his birthday. He was (maybe) joking the other day and said, "How would you feel if I became a better cook than you?" I didn't have a good answer for that! He is already better at so many things, but hey if he became better than me at cooking maybe he would cook during the week and I would cook at the weekend.

Grammy A said...

Yeah, like Mr. Ultra Competitive would be joking about being better than anyone at anything! I'll be 80 years old and he'll still be saying, "Come on old lady! I'll kick your butt in Boggle! Let's play some Scrabble, you old bag! Get your walker over here and play me in some ping pong!"