Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Caramel shortbread

This is a recipe for layered shortbread and caramel bars that are way good. I make them regularly and they never dissappoint. I ALWAYS double the recipe because it seems dumb to use a half can of s.c. milk. Plus the more the better.

CARAMEL SHORTBREAD
------------------
BASE:
1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. butter
2 tbsp. sugar

CARAMEL FILLING:
1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. soft brown sugar
2 tbsp. corn syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk

TOPPING:
1/2 pkg. chocolate chips (I use mini kisses, I like the milk chocolate better)

Base: Blend butter and sugar until smooth. Add the flour and
rub to a crumbly consistency; continue until a smooth paste
is formed. Press mixture into a greased 9 x 9 inch pan, when doubling use a 9x13 or bigger)
prick well with a fork (through to bottom) and bake in 300
degree oven for 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.

Filling: Place all ingredients (except vanilla) in saucepan
and melt slowly. Bring to the boil and stir for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, beat mix with spoon
until it starts to thicken and cool slightly. Pour over
shortbread base.

Melt chocolate according to directions on package, pour over
caramel mixture. Or sprinkle chips on top while still warm. When tray is cool cut into squares as
desired. These can be frozen or kept for 1-2 weeks in the
refrigerator.

Sometimes I add nuts too. It keeps me from eating the whole pan since I don't like nuts.

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

layered shortbread and caramel baRs. I swear I cannot type today.

Thomas Family said...

Hmmm...just in time to ruin my diet. Yummy. :)

knitaholic310 said...

These sound yummy! In England this recipe is called "Millionaire Shortbread" and you can get them at my favorite bakery Nadia's Patisserie. I am betting that in England they use golden syrup rather than corn syrup though.