Thursday, February 14, 2008

Tara the Grouch


I think this cupcake cake I made for Ian's half-birthday celebration at preschool just about sums up my week. 

We had two snow days in a row, the kids and I drove each other crazy. I tried to shovel 6 inches of snow with 2 inches of ice underneath and had only got about a two foot wide strip done when Aidan accidently hit Emma in the nose with the handle of his shovel. Her nose gushed blood all over our front walk. We all ran inside and forgot all about the shoveling. Overnight it all froze and so there are 8 inch thick chunks of ice all over the driveway. I tried to get out anyway and the car got stuck. I could neither get out onto the street nor get the car back into the garage. As I was typing this Ian decided to lotion himself and got huge globs and smears of cetaphil cream all over his clothes and my bathroom. He yelled, "See! I told you little kids can't lotion their own butts!" I cleaned him up and then went to check on something in the kitchen and he deleted my post and thought he was really funny. 

But . . . my husband came home from work in the middle of the day and managed to get my car back in the garage. He also brought me my favorite chocolates (Lindt Lindor Truffles, Milk Chocolate). 

So I am actually have a great Valentine's Day in spite of being literally trapped in my house. I am looking forward to making dinner with Collin and watching a movie while he tickles my head with a knitting needle.

And my cake turned out pretty good. 

And it has pureed beets baked into it. We'll see if the preschoolers notice. 

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

Poor Tara! I don't know how many times I've written a response to a post and deleted it somehow. It's very frusterating to say the least. I love your cake though. What's a half birthday?

knitaholic310 said...

When a kid has a summer birthday like Ian, they get to celebrate a half-birthday (so 6 months before their actual birthday) at preschool. This way they can still feel special and bring a treat like the kids who have their real birthdays at school.

D and J Larson said...

That looks like a yummy cake!I bet the kids will never know! I hate those days when everything seems to go down hill. Hang in there...

Grammy A said...

That sounds like a crappy day Tara, but I would trade it for Monday and my car accident. Not only was I surrounded by 3 police cars, a fire truck, and a tow truck (for the other car), my husband wasn't answering his cell phone... AND I was cited and given a ticket! Thankfully... the other driver and I were both okay!

Thomas Family said...

That cake is SO freakin' cute! I love it! If it makes you feel any better, my Valentine's Day sucked too. :) I feel for ya.

knitaholic310 said...

I shouldn't have said my day was so bad. There are terrible things happening to other people all over the place. That was a selfish vent and I kind of regret it. I think I will just focus on the good stuff. My cake was a hit at preschool and no one noticed the beets. And IT IS ADORABLE. I wish there was another occasion to decorate a cake soon, but my birthday isn't until March and I am not making my own cake this year. Emma's is in April and so far her theme is magic. I might attempt the wizard hat 3-D cake I have seen.

Stephanie said...

How did you get your frosting the perfect green and brown? Was your frosting expensive?

knitaholic310 said...

I have wilton gel food coloring that is supposed to be the best, but it is so old that it is solid. For the green I used green neon and regular green liquid food coloring that comes in packs of four colors in the baking isle by the spices. The brown was a combo of some brown gel color and red and green and yellow liquid. I just kept putting colors in and stirring until it looked right. There are actually formulas on the back of the food coloring boxes that tell you how many drops of each color to use to make certain colors. The frosting is a recipe I learned in my cake decorating class. It uses half butter and half shortening. Would you like the recipe? The frosting wasn't expensive because I made it myself.

Kirsten said...

There's nothing wrong with a good vent. I regularly feel guilty for barely being able to handle my easy life when I know what others are going through. I need to not beat myself up over it though cause I can only handle what I can handle and that's okay. You had a crappy day and I hope venting about it helped you feel a little better. We're all here for support and I hope yesterday was better. And today.

I'm going to post pictures later of the cupcakes I made for Gage's party, they turned out really cute I think.

Stephanie said...

I would absolutely like the recipe. Thanks

Stephanie said...

Please post pics. I need ideas for Sevries birthday