Monday, February 25, 2008

Calories-to-consume Formula

Hey guys, per Tara's request, I am posting a portion of my friend Mandys' email that she sends out to ladies in my ward. This particular one gave us the formula for calculating the number of calories that your body needs to maintain your current weight. So if you are looking to lose a couple pounds, or heaven forbid you need to gain a couple, this will help you know how many calories to add or subtract. This seems kind of lengthy, but it is super easy.


First, you figure out your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). Your BMR is the number of calories your body uses to sustain itself (i.e. keep kidneys running, your heart beating, etc.). In order to figure it out you have to convert your weight to kilograms. (Go weigh yourself now.) Then take your weight and divide it by 2.2

Example: If I weigh 175 lbs. and divide by 2.2 = 80 kg (I rounded to the nearest whole number)

Then you need to take your height in inches and convert it to centimeters. To do this you take your height and multiply it by 2.54

Example: I am 70 inches tall times 2.54 = 178 cm (I again rounded to the nearest whole number)

The next part varies for males and females because women have higher body fat percentages than men.

BMR = 655 + (9.6 x weight in kg) + (1.8 x height incm) – (4.7 x age in Yrs)

Example: 655 + (9.6 * 80) + (1.8 * 178) – (4.7 * 28)

655 + 768 + 320.4 – 131.6 = 1611.8

Now that you have your BMR, you need to figure out your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). This is how many calories you need to consume to maintain your current weight. The formula you use varies depending on how active you are. Select from the following 5 categories to figure out your TDEE.

Little or No Exercise, Desk Job TDEE = 1.2 x BMR

Light Exercise, Sports 1 to 3 Times Per Week TDEE = 1.375 x BMR

Moderate Exercise, Sports 3 to 5 Times Per Week TDEE = 1.55 x BMR

Heavy Exercise, Sports 6 to 7 Times Per Week TDEE = 1.725 x BMR

Very heavy exercise, Physical Job, Training 2 Times Per Day TDEE = 1.9 x BMR

Let’s say I consider myself to be in the “Light Exercise” category. My TDEE would be:

1.375 * 1611.8 = 2216 (I again rounded to the nearest whole number)

To maintain my current weight I need to consume 2216 calories everyday.

If I want to lose a pound a week I need to subtract 500 calories everyday. (1 pound = 3500 calories. 3500 divided by 7 days of the week = 500)

2216 – 500 = 1716 daily calories

If I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week I could subtract 1,000 calories each day.

2216 – 1000 = 1216 daily calories

1216 calories per day seems very low for someone who likes to eat. I would probably give myself 1716 daily calories and try to increase the amount of exercise I do every week. Keeping a food journal will help me stay on track and focused on my caloric needs. Now that I have my daily goal (if I wasn’t pregnant!) my journal can be used to help me reach my goal. I am more specific in my goal, so it will be easier for me to reach.

2 comments:

knitaholic310 said...

What? Are you pregnant? Thanks for posting that. It looks complicated, but I am going to try it.

Mical said...

NO!!!!!!!! This is my friend talking. She is the one that wrote this out.