Sunday, February 17, 2008

Decorating Frosting Recipe



This is for Stephanie and anyone else who might want to decorate a cake sometime soon. I know Katy and Kirsten have this recipe because they took the same beginning cake decorating class I did. I totally recommend the class which is available at local area recreation centers or craft stores like Robert's Craft and Michaels. I have decorated lots of different types of cakes including,  but not limited to: Dora, Diego, Danny Phantom, i love egg, VeggieTales, Superman, Yu-Gi-Oh, a giant butterfly, frog, etc., The class makes it really easy to learn how to transfer a picture from a photocopy to your cake and then instructs you on the best way to fill it in. 

Decorator Frosting
1/2 c butter
1/2 c solid vegetable shortening
1 t clear vanilla extract
4 c sifted powdered sugar
2 T milk
Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been added, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. At this point you can add food coloring. Keep icing covered with damp cloth until ready to use. Can be stored up to two weeks in an airtight container in fridge. Rewhip before using. To thin, add a milk 1 t at a time. To thicken, add powdered sugar 1 T at a time.

One of my favorite shows is Ace of Cakes. It would be awesome to have that as a job. I would even do it at the supermarket bakery for a job if it was practical. I love decorating cakes!

4 comments:

Kirsten said...

I am taking that class next month. I never did get around to taking it before. I'd like to take all three they offer because I think it's such a fun and useful skill to have. Just like photography, I think if you're good enough, it'd be a really fun way to make extra money.

Mical said...

It is always nice to have a good decorating frosting recipe on hand. I love to decorate cakes too...although I have never taken a class for it. I have done a really cute Elmo, spiderman and Cinderella cake. I like the cupcake-decorate like a cake- idea. I have never seen that before. Do you have to have a special pan for whatever shape you are doing, or do you just make it up yourself?

knitaholic310 said...

I just make it up myself. The cupcakes are just sitting on a carrier in whatever shape I am aiming for and I decorate the tops as if it were a solid cake. Some cute ones I have seen have ben circles made to look like a soccer ball or basketball or baseball and an arch that was made into a rainbow. Maybe I will try the rainbow for Emma's birthday party. Her theme is magic and rainbows are pretty magical.

Stephanie said...

A rainbow cupcake cake would be good for Sevrie's birthday too. Either that or a clover. The rainbow cake is prettier though.