Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Wheat Biscuits

This recipe is a great way to use up that last little bit of wheat flour that remains after you have ground wheat your own wheat for bread. There is always at least a cup of wheat flour leftover no matter how carefully I measure out wheat to grind to get as close to 7 cups of flour. This is a good compromise of white and wheat flours if you are trying to transition your family over to more whole wheat products because the biscuits still turn out light and fluffy, but with more nutrition and fiber than traditional buttermilk biscuits.

This is a modified recipe from Taste of Home. Their recipe only made 4 biscuits. I changed the measurements a little to make 11. I was going for 12, but oh well. I used them as buns for turkey burgers last night. The biscuits turned out really yummy, my only additional suggestion is to use a rimmed baking sheet because I didn't and the butter ran off the sheet and burned on the bottom of the oven.

All three of my kids really liked them. Even my picky bird-like eater Emma.

Wheat Biscuits

1 c flour
1 c wheat flour
3 T sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
6 T cold butter, cut up
3/4 (or more) c buttermilk

In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in buttermilk until just moistened. Add more buttermilk a little at a time if the dough seems too dry. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead 6-8 times. Put to a 1" thickness; cut with a 2 1/2 " biscuit cutter. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 F for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes about 11 biscuits. Serve hot for best flavor.

5 comments:

fünf said...

Keep posting recipes! I love all the ideas. You guys are amazing.

D and J Larson said...

thanks for the recipe. I've been looking for a biscuit recipe that's some what good for you...

Thomas Family said...

Wow. People really grind their own flour? I suck.

knitaholic310 said...

Don't say you suck. Everyone is different. I grew up in the least homemaking family ever. My mom has never baked her own bread or cookies and has had a broken oven for 20 years and hasn't missed it.

I didn't learn to cook until I was married. My husband had to teach me how to make pancakes. I didn't learn to sew until I was 22 and took a class at BYU. I grind my own wheat because I want to be the kind of person that my own mom and stepmom were not. I was always so jealous of my friends' moms who had gardens and canned stuff and sewed their daughters prom dresses, etc., I hung out a lot at their houses because I felt such peace and comfort in watching them do those things.

I want to be that mother to my kids because of not having it that way growing up. I feel like I missed out. But other people I know have said that they grew up with all that stuff and have totally rejected it. I was knitting something and talking about crafts and my friend said, "Ugh, I remember my mom dragging me around Jo-Anns and thinking that when I was grown up I would never set foot in another craft store."

I think that is why I find homemaking so interesting. It was totally foreign to me and I felt like I needed to catch up to where I thought everyone else (Mormon girls) were and that I was missing something. My mom was a single career woman who really just wanted to do her own thing after getting divorced. My stepmom was just trying to stay on top of the housework and kid stuff and so everything we ate came out of a can or the freezer.

Now I just do those things because they are practical and fun for me. We have tons of wheat and I like to actually use and rotate our food storage. I really do enjoy crafts and cooking. I have only been grinding my own wheat since we moved here last August. My husband got me a wheat grinder attachment for my kitchenaid mixer and my mother-in-law got me a bosch mixer.

The one part of homemaking I hate is cleaning. I don't think I will ever enjoy that. Especially cleaning up after other people. I just can't find joy in a clean house even the moment it is done because I know the second a child walks into the room it is going to get messy again. I wish a could somehow transfer the McKinney clean gene that everyone else seems to have to myself.

Kirsten said...

Oh man, that clean gene skipped me altogether. I like to have things clean but my nature is totally slob. I've gotten cleaner since getting married cause the clean gene in the Oberts is of the OCD variety. But I hate it too. I love cooking and some crafts but cleaning is and forever will be, a chore.