Saturday, February 2, 2008

The "S" word


I know it is hard to believe, but this adorable girl has a potty mouth. Lily is obsessed with the word "stupid." It started a couple months ago with Ollie. He started saying "stupid" and I immediately told him that it was not a nice word and he should not use it. Well, that just got him saying it even more. After several warnings, I tried time-outs. Didn't help. It got so bad that it was practically involuntary for him. I finally started to ignore it. This worked pretty well after a while. He still says the "S" word on occasion, but usually it is to tell on someone else for saying it. I am very glad that Ollie has learned better, but unfortunately, he taught his little sister the word in the process. Lily probably says "stupid" more times a day than any other word. She uses it in the songs she sings, talking to her toys, and to show her frustration if someone doesn't do what she wants them to. I have tried the ignore method, but since Ollie has become the "S" word police, he brings it to our attention every time she says it. Anyone have a solution for me? I'm sure she'll get bored of it eventually, but I'm wondering how many people she will insult in the mean time.

4 comments:

Grammy A said...

I know she shouldn't say it, but you guys... if you heard her you'd die! She has the cutest, raspy-smoker-lady voice, and to hear her call someone stupid is not only hilarious... IT'S ADORABLE! Of course I'm her grammy, and I can't help myself!

Stephanie said...

This IS very funny. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with Sevrie saying any potty mouth words but she did go through a period of hitting when she was around 17 months. She totally did it because she got a rise out of us. When Coral became this age, she also started hitting. I think because it's the first time they do something they actually know isn't right, and they get reprimanded (attention) for it. Finally we just had to ignore it and not give either of them attention for hitting. It sort of just fissiled out. Every child is different so this may or may not work with Lilly. In the mean time, hang in there and know that like all things,this will too pass. Try to enjoy her cuteness:-)

Kirsten said...

No advice here either, just wanted to say that she's a cutie and I can just picture her saying that. We had friends over last night and one of their kids started to have a meltdown, over nothing, and I had a hard time not laughing. We talked about how when it's your child it can be infuriating but when other children misbehave, it can be cute and funny.

Bob, Emily, Ellie, and Kate said...

I of course have no solution! But I am sitting here laughing in my seat. So thanks for a good laugh!